Yields 4 servings
- 2 tbsp bacon fat
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup chicken livers and/or hearts, chopped fine
- 7 oz can of diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp sumac
- 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp hot chili powder
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 baby stuffed eggplants (see below)
- Prepare the baby eggplant as described in the other recipe.
- Heat a heavy pan and melt the fat. Once hot add the onions, celery and bell pepper and cook until a little translucent. Add the garlic and pork and cook till pork is done. Add the liver and stir until cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and sprinkle the salt, pepper and spices, and stir well. Add the rice and stir it evenly in the pan. Add the parsley in a single layer.
- Nestle stuffed little eggplant into the pan add the broth. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and lower to a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, or until the eggplants are tender and all the water is absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Take the lid off, cover with a tea towel and put the lid back on to allow it to steam for about 10 minutes.
Looking for more Southern-inspired recipes? Check out my other recipes below:
Did you make one of my recipes? I would love to see it. Take a photo and tag me on Instagram @cultureatz.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure policy). Please support CulturEatz by clicking on the links and purchasing through them so I can keep the kitchen well stocked. It does not alter the price you pay.