Well if you think I was going to make my lobster broth and move on without another word you were oh so wrong! Of course I was planning on using a good amount of my many liters pronto. And my first use of the lobster broth will be for a delicious fish stew.
I am not normally a big fan of fish stews or soups but I came across a flavorful recipe with good potential. I gave it a go and I was very satisfied with the results. It makes a big batch and I live alone….3 days 3 bowls an I am still in love. Today for lunch I topped it of with a hard boiled egg and it was a lovely addition. So if you are also not a big fan of fish soups I would keep an open mind and give this one a shot!
- 1 fennel bulb, green tops and core removed, white part chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 14 oz canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot pepper flakes
- 2 pinches of saffron threads
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups of fish or lobster stock
- salt and pepper
- zest of 1 orange
- 24 ounces of any assorted fish scraps: lobster, shrimp, salmon, halibut, haddock, cut into large chunks
- In a large soup pot, sauté the fennel, onions and garlic in the olive oil until they soften.
- Pour in the wine and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, fennel seeds, hot pepper flakes, saffron, bay leaves and stock.
- Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the orange zest and fish to the simmering soup and bring back to a boil while stirring gently.
- Lower heat again and let simmer for 15 minutes and serve immediately.
I love fish stews, and I could happily eat this for days on end!
Excellent use of your lobster broth! I certainly appreciate the fennel being part of this stew of the sea goodness ;o)
I’d have this meal accompanied with a few slices of crusty Italian bread any day of the week!!!
Have a great weekend,
I’m normally not a huge fan of fish stews to but this does sounds yummy!
I’m already a fan of fish stews and soups, so I need no further convincing! That said, this recipe does sound like a winner!
Looking forward to what else you will make with your lobster broth!
Such a wonderfully flavorful stew, love the saffron and fennel seeds here!
Great recipe! Wonderful and so easy to make… thank you for sharing!