Today is my group’s reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club. What is the SRC? Basically you are assigned a fellow participant’s blog by the organizer and then you pick a recipe of your choice from that blog and make your version of it. But it is a secret, you cannot reveal whom you picked and what you made until the established posting date and time. This month’s secret: Black Asian Rice with Stir Fried Vegetables.
This month I was assigned The Saturday Evening Pot blog, how clever is that name! The blog is written by a lovely couple: the Chef who has a degree in Culinary Arts and the The Lucky Wife who also make wonderful contributions to the blog. The blog is mostly made up of low-allergen recipes as the familly has been trying to pin point possible food sensibilities. But the recipes are still full of tatse. I went with the Black Asian Rice with Stir Fried Vegetables dish. I just so happen to have this rice at home and the dish looked wonderful. With just a few scrambled eggs this is aslo a great Meatless Monday meal.
I posted the recipe as is but I did play around with the veggies I had on hand, like corn, and I added some left over pomegranate seeds for a zesty touch. Once the rice was cooked I rinsed it very well to get the black color out. This was purely for esthetics and not necessary.
Black Asian Rice with Stir Fried Vegetables
- 1 cup Asian black rice cooked, drained and cooled
- 1 medium Vidalia or sweet onion small-diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper small-diced
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 10 baby carrots cut in thin coin slices
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 large eggs very softly scrambled
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- dash kosher salt
- Cook black rice, rinse, drain and cool completely.
- Scramble eggs very softly (runny) and set aside.
- Prepare all vegetables and set aside.
- Heat large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil and onions. Saute onions for approximately 1 minute or until soft.
- Add bell pepper. Continue to sauté.
- After approximately 1-2 minutes, add carrot. Continue to toss vegetables.
- Add cabbage and continue tossing.
- After another minute, add peas and garlic. Saute for approximately 1 minute.
- Once vegetables are semi soft, add chilled, cooked rice to pan. Fold in rice and vegetables mixture continually until rice is heated through.
- Add scrambled eggs. Using wooden spoon, chop egg up and fold through rice and vegetable mixture. Season with kosher salt, stir and remove from heat and pan immediately into serving container.
This sounds fantastic. I’m definitely going to make this one night for dinner soon. Love asian food and I’ve never had black rice before.Gotta give this a try!
I’m so glad you enjoyed this dish… it looks great! Our kids LOVE it. I’ve been meaning to go get some more rice and this reminded me about that. It’s been WAY too long since we last had it. 🙂
Such gorgeous colours!
Now I’m curious about black rice! Your SRC pick looks delish…and a great way for me to test out this new to me rice 🙂
Looks like you are having real fun participating in the SRC.
That’s a great stir- fry and a very handy dish and it looks so yummy:)
gohh, i feeling healtier just by reading this recipe…
btw, i’m kinda shame since i’m asian and never had this black rice before!
Interesting! I’ve never tried Asian black rice before. It has bold statement in the dish and I am curious to try using it. 🙂 Good idea to cook with stir fried veggies!
I love using black asian rice – it’s got such a unique look. This is a great, healthy weeknight recipe – thanks so much for sharing!
G’day Evelyne! I see black rice all the time and don’t know what with it to do!
GREAT recipe and photo; might have to try this sometime soon too! Thank you!
I saw some Asian black rice in the bulk aisle the other day and almost bought some just because I’ve never had it before. I didn’t buy it because I wasn’t sure what to do it, until now. What a delicious dish! Looks like I’ll be buying that rice afterall.
This is such a handy recipe. When I am short of time I tend to skip meat and use scrambled eggs in my fried rice with veggies. Black rice will have the ‘wow’ factor too. Like yours. It looks gorgeous!
That looks tasty 🙂 And with scrambled eggs? Heaven. I can even forgive the lack of meat.
I always gravitate towards the savory SRC posts. This looks amazingly delicious! Thanks for sharing with the SRC. I will definitely give this a try soon.
I love stir-fried rice dishes and utilizing whatever I have in the refrigerator is fantastic. I love this dish, especially the beauty of the black rice!!
I have never had black rice before, but it sure does make for a beautiful dish. Great pick!
Yum! Black rice is so cool. 😀
A very nutritious and delicious stir-fry, Evelyne. I love your rice bowl too.
This looks delicious- great SRC pick!
A great healthy dish! I have yet to try black rice.
A great healthy dish! I have yet to try black rice.
This so perfect for weeknight meals and a quick fix, just lovely!
I just had black rice for the first time Friday night. This looks beautiful and a good meal to fix during the shopping season.
That looks a beautiful exotic bowl of rice. I have seen black rice pudding and I am loving this savory version.
I just love all the colors in your dish.