I have found a new fantastic group to join which offers sweet delights for everyone. The Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge is all about baking sweets. Every month we are given to required ingredients to work with. This month it is almond paste and pastry. What a yummy combo!
I wrote quite a bit about the traditional Clafoutis dessert in a past post. This recipe technically breaks the traditional rules. I have added almond paste and raspberries to this recipe, as well as a crust of puff pastry. The real Clafoutsi is crustless and with cherries. But we are here to break recipe boundaries, right? Enjoy.
Puffy Raspberry Almond Clafoutis
- 1 sheet of thawed puff pastry
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 3.5 oz almond paste grated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Melt butter in a quiche dish or pie plate and swirl around bottom and sides. Line the quiche dish with puff pastry, press the pastry firmly in place and trim away any excess pastry. Blind bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower oven heat to 375°F. Place the almond paste, milk, flour, sugar, eggs, grated peel and salt in a blender. Blend until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with raspberries. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until the top is firm and golden.
- Cool clafouti 10 minutes. Serve as is or dust with confectioner’s powder, or serve with whipped cream or crème fraîche.