Looking for a practically guilty free pie when the sweet tooth attacks? Well I have a recipe for you. This recipe was given to me by Stef. The crust of the pie is made of crushed nuts, and egg white and a bit of sugar. That is it. You could fill it any way you like but here is our somewhat low cal version. Note the ingredients are to make one pie, we just happen t make two when he showed me.
Chocolate Apple Pie with Nut Crust
- 1 1/2 cups crushed nuts of your choice (we did 1/2 almonds and 1/2 hazelnut)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 tbsp sugar is desired
- you can add cinnamon, nutmeg or what you like for extra flavor
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 apples
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- cinnamon to taste
- sliced almonds
- 2 oz dark chocolate, melted
- Crush your nuts if whole, use about 1 cup of whole nuts to get 3/4 cups crushed.
- Mix nuts with egg and sugar plus spices is desired.
- Spread in a pie shell evenly and cook at 350F till the crust is golden.
- Melt chocolate and mix in cream until homogenized. Spread in the bottom of crust.
- Sprinkle a layer of sliced almonds.
- Peel and core apples and then cut in thin slices.
- In a pan melt the butter and add apples with sugar and cinnamon. Cook until just tender.
- Poor apples into the pie crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle a few sliced almonds again and swirl decoratively the remaining dark chocolate.
- Refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
Of course, you can do the filling in any crust you wish.
Can you make it with a regular or graham crust? My husband is allergic to nuts though I think we’d be up to trying the chocolate in apple pie idea.
Yeah, the heavy cream doesn’t make it guilt free. However, there is a lighter way of doing the recipe.
For the filling, just put the sautéed apples. No chocolate bottom. The cream was used only to make the chocolate softer. Regular milk would have been fine, if you must have a chocolate bottom. Using the dark chocolate (70% + cocao) to appeal to the eye is what I used it for in the first place. It is optional.
Here are other ways to use the nut mix;
Shape the mix into cookie size. Bake as required. Dip one side into melted dark chocolate, then either:
– Sprinkle on top crush nuts
– Use cookie as a bottom for the apples (Add scoop of ice cream or crème anglaise)
– Use cookie as a decoration piece for ice cream or fruit salads.
– *insert your own use here*
Next thing I will try with that nut mix, is to shape it into little bowls for serving the apples, ice cream or even for a chocolate pudding/mousse. Sky is the limit.
This pie sounds so easy to make, and looks super yummy! I love the chocolate drizzle
I’m liking your friend Stef alot right about now 😉
I’m a real nut on nuts!
Crust made with them is absolutely up my baking alley!
Next time I have a few extra apples…I’ll think of your delicious pie.
Evelyne, I guess you’ve now entered the trend of what some are calling the coming year of the pie!!!
I’m all about guilt free treats these days. Apples, nuts, chocolate, heavy cream – oh my GOSH! I’ve never seen a recipe like this one before. Thanks for sharing!
Oh yum, this pie sounds so good! The entire combo of flavors is right up my alley – chocolate, nuts, and fruits – love it!
Now I’m craving an apple pie!
What a neat crust. I’ve never seen one done with just nuts. Looks delicious.
Yum, chocolate and apples! That sounds absolutely delicious! Love the almonds on top too!
Thank you all, glad you like it!
Oh Trix, what is 2/3 cup of bad stuff spread over 6 servings 😉 he he
A nut crust sounds great to me! This is a great-looking pie!
Evelyne, this pie looks delicious…specially with the nut crust…so tasty and crunchy 🙂
Ha, I love that this is guilt free – with chocolate and heavy cream!!! lol. Glad you seem to be feeling better and are back to posting!
Never had choclate apple pie. I must be crazy 🙂 The pie looks really good Evelyne. Thank you for passing this and thank Stef. Great idea.
Sounds super delicious! Thanks to you and Stef for sharing!