Huevos Rancheros with a Roasted Tomato Salsa
This traditional ranch-style Mexican breakfast dish is a combination of eggs served on fried corn tortillas smothered with a roasted tomato salsa recipe.
- 3 tbsp oil divided 45 ml
- 8 6- inch 15 cm corn tortillas
- 2 cups Roasted Tomato Salsa 500 mL
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 125 mL
- Place serving plates in preheated oven to 150°F (70°C).
- In a large skillet over high heat, add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil and heat for 1 minute. Using tongs, carefully dip each tortilla into the oil until tortilla bubbles and is heated through, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Place 2 tortillas slightly overlapping each other on each warmed plate. Return to oven.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat salsa until bubbly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In another skillet, add remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil and scramble or fry eggs separately, as desired. Place each egg on top of tortillas on each plate and smother with salsa. Sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven and bake until cheese is slightly melted, 3 to 4 minutes.