Classic Chocolate Nut Brownies
- 4 squares each 1 oz [28 g] unsweetened chocolate 4
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine 175 mL
- 2 cups granulated sugar 500 mL
- 3 eggs 3
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 250 mL
- 1 1/4 cups chopped nuts 300 mL
- Frosting optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C) and grease a 13- by 9- inch (3.5 L) cake pan
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and butter stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- When chocolate mixture has cooled, stir in sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until just combined. Blend in flour. Stir in nuts.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Place pan on a rack to cool completely. If desired, frost, then cut into squares.