My mom prepared the best vegetable side dish for Christmas Eve dinner, I had to share the recipe with you. It accompanied a lovely Boeuf Stroganoff served on egg noodles.
Carrot and Parsnip au Gratin
|4||carrot(s), sliced lengthwise into 3-4 mm thick slices||400 g|
|3||parsnip(s), sliced lengthwise into 3-4 mm thick slices||280 g|
|5 cloves||garlic, pressed|
|1 1/3 cup||cream 15%||330 mL|
|salt to taste|
|ground pepper to taste|
|190 g||Emmenthal cheese, or GruyÃ¨re||2 1/4 cups|
|butter, unsalted, to grease the baking dish|
- Preheat the oven to 175ÂºC/350ÂºF. Butter a baking dish.
- Prepare the vegetables: Peel the carrots and parsnips, then slice them lengthwise into 3-4 mm thick slices using a mandolin. If you cannot cook the parsnips soon after slicing, put the slices in a bowl of water with some lemon juice to avoid discoloration.
- Press the garlic, then put it in a small bowl. Pour in the cream, add salt and pepper, then mix well. Grate the cheese then put in another bowl.
- Cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with a first layer of carrots. Pour a few tablespoons of the cream mixture over the carrots, then cover with grated cheese. Repeat the operation with a parsnip layer and so on, finishing with grated cheese on top. The dish can be filled to the very top, since the layers will be compacted during cooking.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, then put it in the middle of the oven. Bake for 1 h Â½ to 2 h, depending on the quantity of the vegetables and the size of the dish. Take out the cover during the last 15 min to allow for a nice crust.
- Let the gratin stand 10 min before cutting and serving it.
It’s really a great dish for a dinner party, guest will be impressed! Recipe from SOS Cuisine
Did you make one of my recipes? I would love to see it. Take a photo and tag me on Instagram @cultureatz.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure policy). Please support CulturEatz by clicking on the links and purchasing through them so I can keep the kitchen well stocked. It does not alter the price you pay.