It really is an honor to be part of such a highly creative groups. And really what I like best with the 5 Star Makeover is giving everyone creative license on 1 theme: this month was the Pizza. Quite vague and challenging, the possibilities are endless. I cannot wait to see with everyone’s results.
For me, pizza is an occasional treat, not because of watching the calories but more as it is a food I do not crave much. But when I do get out of my way. Summer does not call out pizza to me so at first I was a bit stump for my concept. A sweet tooth I do have…ALL THE TIME.
A dessert pizza! Now we are talking. Which so many beautiful summer fruits in the market how can I not display one in all its glory on my crust canvas. And how about using a lighter ‘canvas’ too the the usual pizza dough. Puff pastry it had to be. Here is my gourmet pizza with a twist of strawberries to finish off a beautiful meal out on the porch.
Ξ Strawberry Puff Pastry Pizza Ξ
1 Frozen puff pastry sheet
1 egg yolk mixed with a bit of water
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200C – 400F.
- Spread baking paper on a cooking tray and spray with oil.
- Thaw pastry. Roll out pastry into a large rectangle. Fold inwards a 1 inch edge of the puff pastry.
- Brush the pastry with an egg yolk wash and place tray in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Cut strawberries in half, set aside.
- Spread strawberry jam on tart.
- Spread the ricotta cheese over jam gently.
- Place strawberries on top of ricotta in even rows.
- Sprinkle with sugar and drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar.
- Bake for 15 minutes until pastry is golden and puffed.
It was a superb treat indeed. The flaky crust was nice and light, the jam and ricotta where a perfect base sauce and cheese, the full fruit standing proud was melt in your mouth and I really enjoyed the special taste of the splash of balsamic vinegar over the strawberries. It was a winner all around.