Do you make resolutions? I do and making the resolution to drink La Résolution from Unibroue for the rest of the year just might be my best decision yet!
I am so proud of this Greater Montreal (Chambly) brewery ! Let me introduce you to La Résolution, a dark ale with spicy character inspired by a recipe our brewmaster Jerry Vietz created for his friends. At 10% alcohol, its spicy caramel aroma evolves on the palate into pleasant and complex notes of toffee with reminiscence of a tasty gingerbread. The perfect balance between spicy, caramel and roasted malt flavours is complemented by a nice roundness and persistent finish.
What should I serve with it? Spicy Thai style dishes, an excellent complement for cheese fondue to adjust the liquid’s consistency and also perfect with gingerbread or carrot cake.
Check out this fun video filmed at the Todd English Pub in Las Vegas:
Did you not love how that brownie recipe sounded? Well here is the recipe below!
Yields Serves 15
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
- 8 ounces 70% dark chocolate (8 big pieces), chopped
- 3/4 cup caramel / toffee bits
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs (room temp.)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup La Résolution beer (shelf temp.)
- 1/4 cup pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Fleur de sel
- Preheat oven to 375°F or 190ºC.
- Melt the chocolate, the caramel and the butter in a bain-marie. Mix well. Keep warm.
- In the meantime, pour the flour, cocoa, coffee, and salt in a big bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Mix the eggs and sugar at high speed with an electric mixer for about 2-3 minutes, until you get a light and foamy texture.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and mix at medium speed until homogenous. Then, add the flour mixture, the beer and nuts and continue to mix until homogenous.
- Cover a 9x13 edged baking pan with parchment paper. Pour in the mixture and sprinkle it with chocolate chips. Add Fleur de sel to your liking.
- Oven bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely. Cut and enjoy!
Photo and recipe: www.lecoupdegrace.ca
La Résolution by Unibroue is now available as a seasonal release in the United States, while quantities last, in 750mL bottles and on tap in various bars and restaurants. It is also available in their newly released Sommelier Selection 6 x 12 oz. bottle mix pack.
Did you make one of my recipes? I would love to see it. Take a photo and tag me on Instagram @cultureatz.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure policy). Please support CulturEatz by clicking on the links and purchasing through them so I can keep the kitchen well stocked. It does not alter the price you pay.