Summer is a great time of the year to experiment with fun cocktails.You can use fresh fruits and herbs, play with various juices and all kinds of ingredients.
I really like taking an common drink and turn it into a more exotic one. Here we have a basically a Mint Julep with a more ginger twist. I know everyone is into Mojitos like mad but I like Bourbon so Mint Juleps are favored in my home. How about you? Or have this Ginger Julep Cocktail and then let me know your favorite hi hi.
This cocktail was inspired and adapted from a recipe by Jack Judson. One thing I did (and did not say in the recipe) was pass the cocktail in a smoothie blender instead of a shaker. That is why it looks more opaque but I think the flavors are more pronounced as the ingredients are chopped finer. Give it a try.
Yields 1 cocktail
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, chopped
- 1 pinch fresh mint leaves
- ½ ounce simple syrup (or 1 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 1/2 tsp water)
- 2 ½ ounces Bourbon
- 2 dashes of orange bitters (or any, experiment!)
- ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces ginger ale
- In a shaker muddle the ginger, mint and simple syrup (or sugar/water). Add the Bourbon, bitters and lemon juice. Add ice, shake vigorously and strain into a glass filled with ice. Top with ginger ale and mint.